University of California, Riverside

University Honors

Incoming 1st year student FAQ


Incoming Freshmen FAQ

Q: What are the eligibility requirements to apply to University Honors as an incoming freshman?
  • Incoming freshmen who have a 3.80 high school GPA are eligible to apply to University Honors. Students will be invited based on the GPA used by Undergraduate Admissions in determining admission to UC Riverside. Please check your e-mail to see if you have received an invitation to apply to join University Honors. The e-mail will provide you with a link to the online application. Once submitted, the University Honors Faculty Admission Committee will review your application.  Students with high school GPAs below 3.80 can apply at the end of winter quarter of their first year at UCR to join University Honors at the beginning of their second year, providing that they have a cumulative UCR GPA of 3.50 by that time.
Q: If I am invited to apply to University Honors does that mean that I have been admitted to UCR?
  • University Honors only invites students to apply if they have already been admitted to UCR. If you received information from University Honors, our records indicate you have the high school GPA necessary to be eligible to apply.  Admission to University Honors is selective. Students are encouraged to invest time in the application process.  Each year, University Honors receives a large volume of applications for limited spaces. If you have questions about UCR admissions please contact the Admissions office at (951) 827-3411.
Q:  How do I access the University Honors Application?
  • Invited students will receive an email invitation with a direct link to the application. Please check the email address used in the UC application for the invitation.
Q: Can I apply to University Honors if I have not yet decided to attend UCR?
  • Yes! If there is any chance that UCR will become your first choice, you should apply to University Honors. Your application to University Honors does not bind you to UCR; but, hopefully, becomes a significant reason to submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) to our campus.
Q: If I'm accepted to University Honors but decide to attend another UC, will my admittance to Honors transfer to the other campus?
  • No, each campus has their own process for honors admissions.  You must apply separately.

Still have questions? Contact us at or 951-827-5323.


More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Department Information

University Honors
381 Skye Hall

Tel: (951) 827-5323
Fax: (951) 827-5320

Related Links